Basal Ganglia, Tremor, Vim-dbs, and the Excitability of Spinal Motor Neuron Pooya Pakarian



Yüklə 514 b.
tarix26.03.2018
ölçüsü514 b.
#34492


Basal Ganglia, Tremor, Vim-DBS, and the Excitability of Spinal Motor Neuron

  • Pooya Pakarian

  • Presentation based on:

  • Pakarian P, Rayegani SM, and Shahzadi S. (2004) Effect of Vim thalamic DBS in Parkinson's disease on F wave duration. Neurosci Lett. Sep 9;367(3):323-6.


Basal Ganglia

  • Straitum:

  • 1- Putamen

  • 2- Caudate

  • 3- Nucleus Accumbens (ventral striatum)

  • Pallidum:

  • 1- Globus Pallidus internus

  • 2- GP externus

  • 3- Substantia Innominata (ventral pallidum)

  • Other nuclei:

  • 1- Substantia Nigra pars reticulata

  • 2- SN pars compacta

  • 3- SubThalamic Nucleus (STN)







Basal Ganglia: 3 circuits

  • Sensoriomotor: Putamen to GPi

  • Associative: Caudate to SNr

  • Limbic: Ventral striatum to ventral pallidum









Sensorimotor circuit



Medical Remarks

  • Hypokinetic disorders result from overactivity in the indirect pathway.

  • example: Decreased level of dopamine supply in nigrostriatal pathway results in akinesia, bradykinesia, and rigidity in Parkinson’s dieseas (PD).

  • Hyperkinetic disorders result from underactivity in the indirect pathway.

  • example: Lesions of STN result in Ballism. Damage to the pathway from Putamen to GPe results in Chorea, both of them are involuntary limb movements.

  • Lesion-making in STN or GPi are successful therapeutic procedures of PD.



Cognitive Remarks

  • Putamen, GPi, and GPe are organized somatotopically. Their neurons are selectively responsive to the direction of limb movement. A considerable convergence is also evident along the cortico-basal ganglio- thalamo- cortical pathway.

  • GPi cells have a baseline firing rate of 60-80Hz.

  • During a voluntary hand movement, the firing rates of 70% of the cells in the hand area of GPi increase, while those of the remaining 30% decrease.

  • Focusing theory vs. Scaling theory ( result of emphasis on somatotopy vs. convergence)



New findings inconsistent with the old model

  • Most striatal cells have both D1 and D2 receptors.

  • GPe neurons send some axons back to striatum.

  • Although the projections from GPe to GPi are inhibitory, the pattern of activity in GPe replicates that of GPi (the 70-30 distribution of increase/decrease in firing rate).

  • STN neurons project strongly back to GPe.

  • SNc send dopaminergic projections to GPe, GPi, and STN.

  • Intralaminar group of thalamic nuclei, receive projections from GPi and send projections to Putamen. This is some sort of feedback.



Mechanisms of Tremor in PD



Peripheral vs. Central



Cerebellum vs. BG-Thal



Cellular vs. Network Oscillators



Mechanism of rigidity in PD



F-Wave



Tremor or Rigidity?



Functional Anatomy



Methods



Guiot’s method of electrode localization



Analysis







Yüklə 514 b.

Dostları ilə paylaş:




Verilənlər bazası müəlliflik hüququ ilə müdafiə olunur ©genderi.org 2022
rəhbərliyinə müraciət

    Ana səhifə