CALL TO ORDER Mayor Marty Blum called the joint meeting of the Council and the Redevelopment Agency to order at 2:00 p.m. (The Finance Committee met at 11:00 a.m. The Ordinance Committee, which ordinarily meets at 12:30 p.m., did not meet on this date.)
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE Mayor Blum.
ROLL CALL Councilmembers present: Brian B. Barnwell, Iya G. Falcone, Roger L. Horton, Grant House, Helene Schneider, Das Williams, Mayor Blum.
Councilmembers absent: None.
Staff present: City Administrator James L. Armstrong, City Attorney Stephen P. Wiley, Deputy City Clerk Susan Tschech.
CEREMONIAL ITEMS 1. Subject: Employee Recognition - Service Award Pins (410.01)
Recommendation: That Council authorize the City Administrator to express the City’s appreciation to employees who are eligible to receive service award pins for their years of service through May 31, 2007.
May 1, 2007, report from the Administrative Services Director.
Award Recipients Stephen Felix and Manuel Romero; City Administrator James Armstrong.
By consensus, the Council approved the recommendation. The following employees were recognized:
PUBLIC COMMENT Speakers: Marcus Lopez, Kenneth Loch, Bob Hansen, Benjamin Wood, Lucero Márquez, Michelle Soto, Angelica Camacho, Cesar Rodriguez, Daniel Olmos, and Yousef Baker.
CONSENT CALENDAR (Item Nos. 2 – 6, 8 and 9) The title of the resolution related to Item No. 5 was read.
Councilmembers Horton/Falcone to approve the Consent Calendar as recommended.
Unanimous roll call vote.
2. Subject: Minutes
Recommendation: That Council waive the reading and approve the minutes of the adjourned regular meeting of April 16, 2007, and the regular meeting of April 17, 2007.
Action: Approved the recommendation.
3. Subject: Community Promotion Contract With Spirit Of ’76 (230.02)
Recommendation: That Council authorize the Finance Director to execute a Community Promotion contract with Spirit of '76 in an amount of $12,500 to commence on March 15, 2007, and terminate on August 30, 2007, according to the terms of the contract.
Action: Approved the recommendation; Contract No. 22,414 (May 1, 2007, report from the Finance Director).
4. Subject: Sheriff’s Work Alternative Program (SWAP) (350.08)
Recommendation: That Council authorize the Finance Director to negotiate and execute a Memorandum of Understanding with the County of Santa Barbara Sheriff's Office, in a form acceptable to the City Attorney, related to the City's participation in the Sheriff's Work Alternative Program (SWAP).
Action: Approved the recommendation; Agreement No. 22,415 (May 1, 2007, report from the Finance Director).
5. Subject: Acceptance Of Sanitary Sewer Easement At 1070 Fairway Road (330.03)
Recommendation: That Council adopt, by reading of title only, A Resolution of the Council of the City of Santa Barbara Accepting a Sanitary Sewer Easement Located at 1070 Fairway Road, Santa Barbara County Assessor’s Parcel Number (APN) 009-282-030.
Action: Approved the recommendation; Resolution No. 07-027 (May 1, 2007, report from the Public Works Director; proposed resolution).
6. Subject: Contract For Design Of The El Estero Wastewater Treatment Plant Tertiary Filter Rehabilitation Project (540.13)
Recommendation: That Council authorize the Public Works Director to execute a contract with Carollo Engineers (Carollo) in the amount of $341,677 for design services for the El Estero Wastewater Treatment Plant (El Estero) Tertiary Filter Rehabilitation Project, and approve expenditures up to $34,168 for extra services of Carollo that may result from necessary changes in the scope of work.
Action: Approved the recommendation; Contract No. 22,416 (May 1, 2007, report from the Public Works Director).
Item No. 7 appears in the Redevelopment Agency minutes.
NOTICES 8. The City Clerk has on Thursday, April 26, 2007, posted this agenda in the Office of the City Clerk, on the City Hall Public Notice Board on the outside balcony of City Hall, and on the Internet.
9. City Advisory Group Recruitment:
A. The City Clerk’s Office will accept applications through Friday, June 1, 2007, at 5:00 p.m. to fill vacancies on various City Advisory Groups, one scheduled vacancy with a term expiration date of August 6, 2007, on the Housing Authority Commission, and the unscheduled vacancies resulting from resignations accepted by the Council through May 17, 2007;
B. The City Council will conduct interviews of applicants for vacancies on various City Advisory Groups on Tuesday, June 19, 2007, at 6:00 p.m. and Tuesday, June 26, 2007, at 2:00 p.m.; and
C. The City Council will make the appointments to fill the vacancies on various City Advisory Groups on Tuesday, July 10, 2007.
This concluded the Consent Calendar.
REPORT FROM THE FINANCE COMMITTEE Finance Committee Chair Roger Horton reported that the Committee reviewed and approved Staff recommendations for subordinations related to the refinancing of the Casa Esperanza Homeless Shelter; these recommendations will be submitted to the Council and Redevelopment Agency at a later date. The Committee also heard presentations on issues pertaining to its review of the Two-Year Financial Plan for Fiscal Years 2008 and 2009.
Item No. 10 appears in the Redevelopment Agency minutes.
RECESS 3:59 p.m. - 4:21 p.m.
PUBLIC HEARINGS 11. Subject: Appeal Of The Fire And Police Commission’s Approval Of The Dance Permit For "Old Town Hospitality, LLC," dba "Sandbar" (520.01)
Recommendation: That Council deny the appeals of Tamara Erickson, Kay Morter, and Susie Thompson, thereby upholding the Fire and Police Commission’s decision to approve the dance permit for Old Town Hospitality, LLC, dba Sandbar, at 514 State Street.
- May 1, 2007, report from the Police Chief.
- Documentation entitled "Appeal; Sandbar Dance Permit; 514 State Street," submitted by the Appellants.
- May 1, 2007, letter from the Santa Barbara Community Housing Corporation.
Public Comment Opened:
- Staff: Police Captain Robert Lowry.
- Appellant: Tamara Erickson, Hotel Santa Barbara; Susie Thompson; Kay Morter, Holiday Inn Express/Hotel Virginia.
- Applicant: Ron Newman; Aron Ashland, representing Sharkeez; Kirsten Bones; Nick Ulrich.
- Members of the Public: Shaun Woods; Aurelio Bocanegra; Frank Lazorchik; Sandra Gibson; Bill MacFadyen, Santa Barbara Community Housing Corporation; Ted Mendoza; Michael Merenda; Gene Zannon; Jason LoCicero; David Greditzer; Thomas Byrne; Joshua Klein.
Public Comment Closed:
Councilmembers Williams/Horton to approve the recommendation.
Unanimous voice vote.
RECESS 6:03 p.m. - 6:37 p.m.
Mayor Blum presiding.
Councilmembers present: Barnwell, Falcone, Horton, House, Schneider, Williams, Mayor Blum.
Councilmembers absent: None.
Staff present: City Administrator Armstrong, City Attorney Wiley, Deputy City Clerk Tschech.
CHANGES TO THE AGENDA Item Continued to Future Meeting The Council agreed to continue the following item to a future meeting:
12. Subject: Conference With Legal Counsel - Pending Litigation (160.03)
Recommendation: That Council hold a closed session to consider pending litigation pursuant to subsection (a) of section 54956.9 of the Government Code and take appropriate action as needed. The pending litigation is City of Santa Barbara v. County of Santa Barbara, et al., SBSC Case Number 1241801.
Scheduling: Duration, 15 minutes; anytime
Report: None anticipated
PUBLIC COMMENT No one wished to speak.
CITY COUNCIL ADMINISTRATIVE AND ATTORNEY REPORTS COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT 13. Subject: Single Family Design Guidelines/Neighborhood Preservation Ordinance Update Introduction (640.02)
Recommendation: That Council:
A. Introduce and subsequently adopt, by reading of title only, An Ordinance of the Council of the City of Santa Barbara Amending Titles 22 and 28 of the Santa Barbara Municipal Code Relating to Design Review of Proposed Land Development and Establishing a Maximum Net Square Footage Standard (Floor to Lot Area Ratios) for Single Family Homes;
B. Adopt, by reading of title only, A Resolution of the Council of the City of Santa Barbara to Adopt Updated Single Family Residential Design Guidelines; and
C. Recommend that Staff return to Council in July 2009 with a review of the SFDG/NPO.
- May 1, 2007, report from the Community Development Director.
- Proposed Ordinance and Errata Sheet.
- Proposed Resolution.
- Single Family Design Guidelines/Neighborhood Preservation Ordinance Update Reading File.
- April 30 and May 1, 2007, letters from Steven Amerikaner.
- May 1, 2007, letter from the Samarkand Neighborhood Association.
The titles of the ordinance and resolution were read.
- Staff: Project Planner Heather Baker, Senior Planner Jaime Limon, City Attorney Stephen Wiley, Community Development Director Paul Casey, Assistant City Attorney Scott Vincent.
- Single Family Design Guidelines/Neighborhood Preservation Ordinance Update Steering Committee: Dianne Channing, Bill Mahan.
- Architectural Board of Review: Members Dawn Sherry, Gary Mosel.
- Members of the Public: Timothy Harding, Citywide Homeowners’ Association; Joyce Falk; Toby Bradley, Santa Barbara Association of Realtors; Michelle Giddens, Citywide Homeowners’ Association; Peter Basch, Samarkand Neighborhood Association; Naomi Kovacs, Citizens Planning Association; Connie Hannah, Santa Barbara League of Women Voters; Pat Kistler, Santa Barbara Association of Realtors; David Shapiro; James Smith; Eric Schott; Derry Godar.
Councilmembers Falcone/House to approve the recommendations, adopting Resolution No. 07-028; incorporate language changes as detailed on the Errata Sheet into the proposed ordinance; revise page 59 of the Single Family Residence Design Guidelines; rename the Neighborhood Preservation Board to be the Single Family Design Board; and approve the Staff recommendation for the processing of pending projects and their consideration by either the Architectural Board of Review or the Single Family Design Board.
Unanimous roll call vote.
ADJOURNMENT Mayor Blum adjourned the meeting at 8:54 p.m.
SANTA BARBARA CITY COUNCIL CYNTHIA M. RODRIGUEZ, CMC