The “Journal of Economics and Statistics” was established by the end of 1862 by
Bruno Hildebrand, one of the main representatives of the older school of
historically oriented German economics. Regarding its contents the Journal has,
during Hildebrand’s editorship, been defined by the scientific views of its founder
more than has been the case with his successors.
1878-1915: Johannes Conrad
Johannes Conrad conveyed the Journal beyond its close association with its
editor’s scientific views. According to his understanding the Journal should not
pursue a certain school of thought. Conrad viewed its function as a medium in an
exchange relationship between science and economic reality, namely economic
policy. He saw his role as editor in terms of initiating this exchange process in the
Journal and in finding an appropriate format to serve this purpose. He extended
the readership of the Journal from a group of experts to a broader group including
public administration, economic and social organisations, and the (economically)
interested reader in general. This newly defined purpose explains the adjustments
in form and content.
1915-1933: Ludwig Elster
Ludwig Elster had, before taking over as editor after Conrad’s death, already been
engaged with the Journal several times. Formerly Bruno Hildebrand had
introduced him to the editorial field and Elster as well involved him in the editing
of the Journal. Besides reference from co-editorship early on, it was undoubtedly
again the high prestige and broad scope of view emanating from this position that
encouraged the publisher to consider him for the continuation of the Journal.
1934-1942: Otto von Zwiedineck-Südenhorst and Gerhard Albrecht
The newly ruling powers made the continuation of the Journal dependent on
changes at the editorial position. Ultimately the publishing company approached
Gerhard Albrecht who had long been in close relationship with Elster and the
Journal. Otto Zwiedineck Edler von Südenhorst was also addressed, by then long
time Director of the Seminar for Statistics and Insurance Science at the University
of Munich and as a scientist well suited for the editorial post. The editors
maintained the Journal as a sincere organ of scientific integrity, led by the
decisive will not to commit the least of concessions to the increasingly
perspicuous demand on scientific publishing as regards the alignment with the
political disposition of its time. This was not to work out over time. In order to
prevent the Journal from pre-censorship Albrecht and von Zwiedineck resigned by
the end of 1942 from the editorial posts.
1943-1967/68: Friedrich Lütge and Erich Preiser
The negotiations concerning the permission to continue issuing the Journal were
carried on by Friedrich Lütge. While Lütges association with the publishing
company as well as the journal were close and manifold, an equally inducing
reason regarding Erich Preiser’s appointment to the Journal’s editorial board is not
found. Lütge’s endeavours in Berlin were rewarded: The Journal was to be
continued (with editors not dictated by party interests over those of the publishing
were released, thereafter the Journal was banned.
Publishing of the Journal resumed in the year 1949 under circumstances altered in
many respects. The management of the parent publishing house in Jena (Saxony)
had established as subsidy the Piscator Press, which published the Journal.
Following the expropriation of the Jena publishing house and relocation of the
owners to Stuttgart, the Piscator subsidy was closed and from 1953 on the Journal
was published by the Gustav Fischer Press in Stuttgart. Erich Preiser died in 1967;
nine months later in May 1968, Lütge, suffering from ill health, announced his
leave from the Journal.
1968-1982: Knut Borchardt, Alfred E. Ott and Heinrich Strecker
The new editors were well chosen: Knut Borchardt was Lütge’s student, Alfred E.
Ott a student of Preiser, and with Heinrich Strecker – a student of Oscar Anderson
sen. – a statistician entered the board of editors. Given this board, continuity and
amplification were to be expected.
1983-1994: Alfred E. Ott, Heinrich Strecker, Heinz Lampert, Alois
At the end of 1982 Knut Borchardt vacated his editorial post. Professors Heinz
Lampert, Alois Oberhauser and Adolf Wagner took his place. A profound
alteration to the editorial structure was encountered with the death of Alfred E. Ott
in the year 1994.
1995-2000: Adolf Wagner, Heinrich Strecker, Wolfgang Franz, Gerhard
The management responsibilities previously assumed by Alfred E. Ott have since
structure – in accordance with the publishing house Lucius & Lucius – the
editorial board was extended. At first Wolfgang Franz, Gerhard Kleinhenz,
Werner Neubauer and (transitionally) Wolfgang Eichhorn were co-opted. From
1999 Peter Stahlecker and Dietmar Wellisch joined.
2000-2004: Adolf Wagner, Heinrich Strecker, Wolfgang Franz, Gerhard
All editors feel obliged by the tradition of the “Journal for Economics and
contributions. Neither thematically nor methodically are the editions to be
constrained by respective paradigmatic schools of thought.