Flammable Limits: Nonflammable, Hazard on contact with water/moisture
Extinguishing Media: Do not use water, use dry chemical, dry ice, CO2
Special Fire Fighting Procedures: Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus and full protective clothing to prevent contact with skin and eyes
Unusual Fire and Explosion Hazards: Can react with moisture or acids to liberate phosphine (PH3), which is a fire and explosion hazard. When heated to decomposition, it may emit toxic fumes of POx
Section 5: Reactivity Data
Stability: Unstable Conditions to Avoid: N/A
Incompatibility (Conditions to Avoid): Strong acids, strong based, oxidants, moisture/water
Hazardous Polymerization: Will not occur
Conditions to Avoid: Heat, flame and incompatible materials
Hazardous Decomposition Products: In, InOx, P, POx, PH3
Section 6: Health Hazard Data
Toxicity Data: No specific data for this compound
Routes of Entry (Under Normal Conditions of Use):
Inhalation – Yes Skin – Yes Ingestion – Yes
Medical Conditions Generally Aggravated by Exposure: Respiratory disorders.
Health Hazards (Acute and Chronic): Not known applicable Information
Material Safety Data Sheet: Indium (III) Phosphide Page 2of 2
NTP – Not Listed IARC Monograph – No OSHA Regulated – No
Signs and Symptoms of Overexposure:
Inhalation: May cause sneezing, coughing, difficult to breath and irritation of the mucous membrane of the respiratory tract.
Dermal/Eye Contact: Dermal: May cause irritation, itching and dermatitis. Eye: May cause burning sensation, irritation, redness and watering of the eyes if coming in contact.
Other: In Compounds: Highly toxic via subcutaneous and moderately toxic via oral routes. Symptoms of acute indium intoxication are anorexia, localized convulsive motions, hind-leg paralysis, pulmonary edema, necrotizing pneumonia, and renal and hepatic damage with resultant dysfunction. Chronic indium intoxication leads to weight loss, poor growth, and extensive necrotic damage to the liver and kidneys.
Phosphides: Phosphides are particularly dangerous because they tend to decompose to phosphine upon contact with moisture or acids. Phosphine is a very toxic gas. It appears to cause, chiefly, a depression of the CNS and irritation of the lungs. Inhalation of phosphine causes restlessness, followed by tremors, fatigue, slight drowsiness, nausea, vomiting and frequently, severe gastric pain and diarrhea. There is often headache, thirst, dizziness, oppression in the chest and burning substernal pain; later the patient may become dyspneic and develop cough and sputum. Coma or convulsions may precede death. Chronic poisoning, characterized by anemia, bronchitis, gastrointestinal disturbances and visual, speech and motor disturbances may result from continued exposure to low concentrations.
Emergency and First Aid Procedures: Treat symptomatically
Eyes: Flush eyes with lukewarm water for 15 minutes. Seek medical attention.
Skin: Brush material off of skin. Wash affected area with soap and water. Seek medical attention.
Inhalation: Remove victim to fresh air. Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult. Seek medical attention
Ingestion: Give 1~2 glasses of milk or water and induce vomiting. Seek immediate medical attention.
Steps to be Taken in Case Material is Released or Spilled: Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus and full protective clothing. Isolate the area where the spill occurred and insure that proper ventilation is available. Vacuum up spill using a high efficiency unit and place in a container for proper disposal. Take care not to raise dust. Insure that water/moisture is kept out of the area.
Waste Disposal Method: In accordance with Local, State and Federal Waste Disposal Regulations.
Section 8: Control Measures