These guide specifications are intended to be used as the basis for developing job specifications and must be edited to fit specific job requirements. Inapplicable provisions should be deleted, appropriate information should be provided in the blank spaces, and provisions applicable to the job should be added as necessary. Items that represent an option or choice are enclosed in brackets. Notes to specifiers are given in Italics directly following the paragraphs to which they apply.
PART 1 - GENERAL
A. WORK INCLUDED
1. Furnish and install [aluminum] [bronze] [stainless steel] [nickel-silver] [pipe] railings and components.
B. WORK FURNISHED BUT INSTALLED UNDER OTHER SECTIONS
1. Furnish [anchors] [fabrications] to be cast in concrete to
Section [03001 B Concrete] [03300 B Cast-in-Place Concrete].
2. Furnish [anchors] [fabrications] for embedding in masonry to Section [04300 - Masonry Unit System] [ ].
3. Furnish anchors for placement in [ ] walls to
Section [ B ].
C. RELATED WORK
1. Section 03001 - Concrete:
2. Section 03300 - Cast-in-Place Concrete:
3. Section 04300 - Unit Masonry Systems: Grout
4. Section 05030 - Metal Finishes:
5. Section 05510 - Metal Stairs: Handrailing at Stairs
1. [Handrail and wall rail] [Guardrail] assemblies and attachments shall withstand a minimum concentrated load of pounds applied horizontally or vertically down at any point on the top rail.
1. [Handrail and wall rail] [Guardrail] assemblies and attachments shall withstand a minimum uniform load of pounds per foot applied [vertically down] [and] [horizontally], but not simultaneously on the top rail.
2. Design Guardrail intermediate rails, balusters, and panel fillers for a uniform load of not less than pounds per square foot over the gross area of the guard of which they are part. Reactions due to this loading need not be added to the loading specified for the main supporting members of the guardrails.
A. Product Data
1. Submit manufacturers engineering data and installation instructions under provisions of Section  .
B. Shop Drawings
1. Submit shop drawings and product data under provisions of Section  .
1. Furnish references listing projects of similar size and scope.
B. REGULATORY REQUIREMENTS
1. Components and installation are to be in compliance with state and local code authorities.
2. Components and installation are to follow current ADA and CABO/ANSI guidelines.
1. Furnish certification that all components and fittings are furnished by the same manufacturer or approved by the primary component manufacturer.
2. Furnish certification that components were installed in accordance to manufacturers engineering data to meets the specified design loads.
D. PRE-INSTALLATION MEETING
1. Prior to the beginning of work, conduct a pre-job conference at the job site.
2. Provide seven calendar days advance written notice ensuring the attendance by competent authorized representatives of the fabricator, building owners representative, architect, and subcontractors whose work interfaces with the work of this Section.
3. Review the specifications to determine any potential problems, changes, scheduling, unique job site conditions, installation requirements and procedures and any other information pertinent to the installation.
4. Record the results of the conference and furnish copies to all participants.
1.06 DELIVERY, STORAGE, AND HANDLING
A. Deliver materials to the job site in good condition and properly protected against damage to finished surfaces.
B. Storage on site:
1. Store material in a location and in a manner to avoid damage. Stack in a way to prevent bending.
2. Store material in a clean, dry location away from uncured concrete and masonry. Cover with waterproof paper, tarpaulin, or polyethylene sheeting in a manner that will permit circulation of air inside the covering.
C. Keep handling on site to a minimum. Exercise particular care to avoid damage to finishes of material.
PART 2 - PRODUCTS
2.01 ACCEPTABLE MANUFACTURER
A. Railing [pipe] and components shall be as manufactured and distributed by JULIUS BLUM & CO., INC., of Carlstadt, New Jersey (800) 526-6293, for its CONNECTORAIL® System.
2.02 MATERIALS AND FINISHES
1. Extruded Pipe: Alloy 6063-T52 meeting ASTM B 221
2. Drawn Pipe: Alloy 6063-T832 meeting ASTM B 483
3. Reinforcing Bars: Alloy 6061-T6 meeting ASTM B 221
4. Extruded Bars, Shapes, and Mouldings : Alloy 6063-T52
meeting ASTM B 221
5. Extruded Posts: Alloy 6063-T6 meeting ASTM B 221
6. Castings: Almag 35 meeting ASTM B 26
7. Extruded Toe Board: Alloy 6063-T52 meeting ASTM B 221 and the safety requirements of ANSI A21.1
8. Finish (refer to NAAMM Metal Finishes Manual):
a. Anodized finish shall be [AA-M10-C22-A31 (204R1)] [provided in accordance with AA-M -C -A and shall meet requirements of AAMA (606.1) (607.1) (608.1)]
b. Painted finish shall be type and color and meet the requirements of AAMA 605.1 specification for high performance organic coatings.
c. Coating: [Clear Organic: O - ] [Laminated: L - ] [Wax: ] [Oil: ]
2.03 RAILING SYSTEM
A. Material shall conform to 2.02. and be finished in accordance with 2.02.
B. Railing system shall be [permanently anchored] [removable].
C. Rails [and Posts]
1. Fabricate rails [and posts] from [(anodized) (painted) aluminum, 6063-T52] [stainless steel] [bronze] [nickel-silver] [pipe] [tube] with nominal size of [1-1/4] [1-1/2] inches ([1.660] [1.900] inches outside diameter), Schedule    ([.062] [.109] [.140] [.145] [.146] [.150] inch wall). [Provide post reinforcement of ([1.360-] [1.427-] [1.600-] [1.667-] inch diameter solid aluminum reinforcing bar) (1.750-inch diameter by .120-inch wall stainless steel tube)].
1. Fabricate posts from [anodized] [painted] aluminum 6063-T832 pipe with a nominal size of [1-1/4] [1-1/2] inches, ([1.660] [1.900] inches outside diameter). Schedule   ([.109-] [.140-] [.145-] inch wall). Provide post reinforcement of [1.360-] [1.427-] [1.600-] [1.667-] inch diameter solid aluminum reinforcing bar.
1. Fittings shall be of wrought material of [aluminum] [stainless steel] [bronze] [nickel-silver]. Tee-fittings and elbows that are fabricated from more than one piece shall be of welded construction with no weld marks visible when the fitting is installed.
F. Connector Sleeves
1. Internal connector sleeves shall be of extruded aluminum.
G. Mounting Flanges
1. [Floor] [Cover] [Roof railing] flanges shall be of [cast] [aluminum] [bronze] [stainless steel] [nickel-silver].
2. Heavy-duty floor flange shall be of cast aluminum with a solid aluminum reinforcing bar.
3. Facia flanges shall be of [aluminum] [bronze] [stainless steel] with a solid aluminum reinforcing bar.
H. Toe Board
1. Toe Board shall be of extruded aluminum; BLUM No. 6446.
A. Mechanical Fasteners:
a. RHMS 1/4”-20 x 1” SEMS with lock washer, stainless steel.
b. 1/4”-20 x [21/2”] [3”] RHMS with lock nut, stainless steel.
c. [A25-140] [A25-200] internally threaded tubular rivets, aluminum.
d. 3/8” x 3” sleeve anchor bolt, cadmium-plated steel.
e. Machine screws used to mount facia flanges to stringers shall be of [stainless] [galvanized] [cadmium-plated] steel, 3/8-inch diameter.