Please thoughtfully complete the questions below by using complete sentences.
You may use this question guide on the quiz you will take based upon these chapters.
Questions 1-10 are worth 1.5 points each. Vocabulary is worth 5 points.
1. Chapter 10 starts in March 1981. How much time has passed since the end of Chapter 9, when Ali and Hassan leave? How old is Amir?
2. Who is Karim? Why are Baba and Amir fleeing Afghanistan? How does Baba behave on the journey?
3. Chapter 11 changes setting to the United States. What does America represent to Amir? To Baba?
4. What do Baba and Amir do in San Jose on the weekends? How does Baba feel there? Who is General Taheri? Soraya Taheri?
5. What is the double standard (consider gender differences) that Amir points out in Chapter 12?
6. What is Baba diagnosed with and how does he decide to treat it?
7. In Chapter 13, Amir thinks about the “bears” his father has wrestled during his lifetime. What “bears” has Baba wrestled?
8. What disappointment do Amir and Soraya face? Do you think Amir should have told Soraya about his betrayal of Hassan before they were married? Why or why not? What does withholding information do to a committed relationship?
9. In 1989, what is going on in Afghanistan? Who are the Mujahedin? Who is in charge?
10. Chapter 14 brings us back to the opening of the book: the telephone call from Rahim Khan. What is Rahim Khan asking Amir to do? How does Amir react?
Vocabulary – Look up the part of speech and meaning of each of these words. Each word appears in your reading of this section. Up to 3 BONUS POINTS if you can include the page numbers of the words as they appear in the book! They are listed in order of appearance.