7. T.S.P. is an all purpose cleaner that can be used to clean driveways. What volume of solution would you get if you dissolved 150.0 g of sodium phosphate with water to produce a 0.23 mol/L solution?
8. What volume of a 17.4 mol/L acetic acid stock solution is required to make 2.0 L of a 1.5 mol/L acetic acid solution?
9. Standard solutions of sodium oxalate, Na2C2O4(aq), are required for certain types of chemical analyses. If 8.5 g of sodium oxalate is dissolved in 500 mL of distilled water, calculate the concentration of the sodium ion and the concentration of the oxalate ion dissolved in this solution.
10. A student mixed 100.0 mL of a 0.100 mol/L solution of barium chloride with 100.0 mL of a 0.100 mol/L solution of iron(III) sulphate. The barium sulphate precipitate was filtered, dried, and was measured to have a mass of 2.0 g. Calculate the % yield of the barium sulphate.
11. A swimming pool has a pH of 7.5. Calculate the hydrogen ion concentration in the pool.
12. A titration was performed on a 10.00-mL sample of water taken from an acidic lake. If it took 8.66 mL of 0.0512 mol/L NaOH(aq) to neutralize the sulfuric acid in the lake water sample, calculate the concentration of the sulfuric acid. What is the pH of this lake water?
13. The hydrogen ion concentration in beer is 3.12 x 10–5 mol/L. Calculate the pH of beer.
Unit 4: Solutions and Solubility Review Answer Section
1.E 2.A 3.B 4.E 5.C 6.A
The volume of the solution will be 4.0 L.
The volume of the stock acetic solution needed is 1.7 x 102 mL.