Kidz Korner Preschool is pleased to have you join us.
This handbook contains a great deal of information that will be helpful to you while your child attends Kidz Korner. Please read it carefully.
As you look around Kidz Korner, you will see a supportive, loving, and well-trained staff and an organized routine that includes developmentally appropriate learning materials of all kinds available to the children.
You will see tremendous changes take place in your child during their time here. From the beginnings of talking, to all kinds of creative play, to the learning and development necessary to prepare them for kindergarten.
Our teachers are first-rate. The patience, love, and encouragement they show children are limitless. They are truly dedicated to the program and the children.
We at Kidz Korner have put a routine together in a way that enables the children the flexibility and opportunity to learn without pressure in order to build positive self-esteem while enhancing cognitive, social, emotional, and physical growth.
We are dedicated to establishing strong connections between children and their peers, children and staff and staff and families. Parent involvement benefit’s the parents, children and staff, and is greatly encouraged and appreciated.
The staff and Director are always available to answer any of your questions or address any concerns you might have. It is important for all of us to keep the lines of communication open, and we greatly value your comments and suggestions.
About the Teachers Our teachers are selected carefully by the ability to meet each individual child’s needs. These abilities are determined by their experience, education, and training in child development. The staff of teachers at Kidz Korner work together as a team so that your child may benefit from the expertise that each of them possesses. We have found that in a child daycare environment it is a necessity to work together in a closely-knit fashion that provides support for one another, therefore providing an overall strength in the program.
Philosophy and Goals Philosophy Kidz Korner bases its’ curriculum on accreditation standards of the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC). The following is a quote by them:
“The curriculum should encourage children to be actively involved in the learning process, to experience a variety of developmentally appropriate activities and materials, and to pursue their own interests in the context of life in the community and the world.”
We believe children have the right to a safe, nurturing environment where they can feel secure. We believe that every child should have the opportunity to develop to their highest potential, and that our teachers have the responsibility to provide that opportunity for development.
We recognize that each child is an individual and that each child must be allowed to learn at his or her own pace. We accept and respect differences between children including physical, racial, and ethnic heritages. All children regardless of sex, race, religion, or ethnic origin must have the same opportunity for learning.
We believe children learn best through active play. The teacher’s job is to provide many opportunities and experiences for growth in all areas. We strive to plan activities that meet the developmental needs of all children, which follow early childhood development principles.
1. To provide a safe and caring environment for children in what may be their first school experience.
2. To provide interesting, age-appropriate activities and experiences, which help children feel confident about themselves and their environment.
3. To help children learn to relate to each other positively in a group experience and develop necessary social skills.
4. To nurture each child’s individuality, foster positive self-esteem, and encourage creativity.
5. To address the special needs of each child as a separate individual.
6. To provide activities for exploration in the following areas: music and movement, creative art, science and nature, dramatic play, literature and language, health and nutrition.
Program Description We accept children 18 months old through 5 years. The teacher/child ratio is 1 teacher for every 6 children in our toddler class and 1 teacher for every 10-12 children in our preschool classes. This ratio meets the requirement set forth by the Department of Social Services. Each classroom is set up according to the age group of the children but we provide the following activity areas to be explored: our computer center offers educational software which stimulates and reinforces early reading and math concepts, our art and music areas develop creative and social skills, our dramatic play areas provide the children an opportunity to learn about social roles and their community, and our science areas teach the children about nature and their environment.
Hours of Operation We are open Monday through Friday 7:15am to 5:30pm. Our toddler program hours are 7:30-5:30pm. Our program is open year round. If your child is not picked up beyond closing time, the supervising teacher will make every attempt to contact you and/or others authorized to pick up your child. There is a fee that will be charged to your account for late pick-ups. If no arrangements can be made by 6:00pm, we are required to call Child Protective Services. They would be assuming custody until you or another authorized person could be located.
School Holidays Kidz Korner is closed on the following holidays: New Year’s Day, President’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas eve, Christmas day, and the day after Christmas. Dates are subject to change. All families will receive advanced notice of any changes. Admission Policy Kidz Korner Preschool admits children of any race, color and national or ethnic origin. After an interview with the parent and child, the director will decide on placement depending upon availability.
Immunizations: California law requires all children entering our school to have the following immunization: Polio, DPT, MMR, HIB, HEP B and Varicella. A documented immunization record must be included in the enrollment packet. All additional forms, I.D. and Emergency Information, Physician’s Report, Health History, Medical Release, Statement of Parent’s Rights, must be completed and turned into our office along with signed Admission Agreement on or before the first day of your child’s attendance.
Child’s Placement/Termination of Agreement:The first 6 weeks will be a probationary period to evaluate the child’s adjustment. If the school in its sole and unfettered discretion determines that it is unable to meet the needs of the child, enrollment will be terminated. This agreement may be terminated if the school in its sole and unfettered discretion determines that it is not in the best interest of the school or other children enrolled at the school to have the child in attendance. This agreement may be terminated if parents or guardians fail to honor the obligations listed in this agreement or any rules or regulations stated in the school handbook. In exercising its discretion, the school may require the parents or guardians to attend conference(s) with school personnel regarding the matters that potentially warrant termination of the agreement. The school’s director shall have the sole right and responsibility to determine any disputed factual matters regarding termination of this agreement.
Health & Wellness Kidz Korner Preschool policy for the care of ill children is based on ensuring that facilities and staff available can meet the needs of all children in the group. Children will be excluded if:
The child’s illness prevents the child from participation in routine activities.
The illness requires more care than the staff is able to provide without compromising the needs of other children in the group.
Keeping the child in care poses an increased risk to the child or other children or adults with whom the child comes into contact.
Do not bring your child to school if he or she is not well enough to participate in normal day’s activities or is exposed to a contagious disease, develops symptoms of a contagious disease or is diagnosed by a physician as having a contagious disease. Medication It is extremely helpful when you can administer medication before or after school hours. There may be times, however, when your child needs medication during the day. Our staff will make every attempt to administer medication prescribed by your physician, which is dated, labeled, and in its original container, if you have completed a Consent to Administer Medication form. Kidz Korner Preschool is not liable for missed doses. Consent to Administer Medication forms must be filled out and given to the teacher.
Emergencies In the event of a medical emergency, we will contact you immediately. If it is determined, that your child requires medical attention and no one can be contacted, the school will notify the nearest hospital facility to prepare for your child’s arrival.
First Aid Kidz Korner will maintain first aid supplies sufficient to care for minor injuries. The first aid supplies shall include only those items to be used for minor cuts and bruises. Our staff is certified in CPR and first aid procedures. Parents will be notified when a child has been given first aid.
If you are serious about potty training your child, then we will happily assist you by taking them to the bathroom frequently. We ask that children be in training pants or pull-ups, and a complete change of clothing be provided in their bag (including shoes, socks, and two extra pair of pants). Please be sure to let the director know your child is “in training” so that it can be noted on the diaper/potty list. If you need some consultation or recommended procedure for potty training, please feel free to speak with the director.
Naps/Quiet Time Naptime or quiet time is from 11:30am to 2:00pm (depending on the age of the children). Each child is provided a nap mat to lie down on. Your child is welcome to bring his/her own blanket, pillow, or soft toy. These are to be labeled. Blankets and pillows must be taken home each week for laundering. We ask that no drop off’s or pick up’s occur during these hours.
Lunch If your child will be at the center during lunchtime, please send a lunch box or a sack lunch including a drink. Please label all lunch boxes, bags, containers, thermos bottles, etc. with your child’s name.
Good nutrition is essential is developing strong bodies and minds. We urge you to provide nutritious, low-sugar foods in your child’s lunch. No high sugar items will be served. Please advise us if your child has special dietary needs or allergies.
The school will provide a nutritious snack for each child during each snack time in the daily schedule.
Discipline Policy Guiding children toward positive behavior allows children to develop opportunities for growth. Setting limits with children gives them the security of knowing their strong emotions will not lead them to do things they will later regret.
Our approach to guidance is to set clear, predictable limits. We are committed to developing a positive sense of self-esteem. At no time will your child be stuck, handled roughly, or verbally abused as a disciplinary measure. Our goal is to teach children to not hurt oneself or others and to
respect one’s own and other’s physical environment.
If a child’s behavior is inappropriate, our first action is to redirect the child, use positive reinforcement for appropriate behavior, and use natural or logical consequences.
Time-outs are used as a means of giving the child an opportunity to calm down and regain inner control. When the child and teacher are ready, they will talk about the inappropriate behavior and about feelings and solving the problem.
Activities and Equipment Kidz Korner Preschool offers a variety of learning materials for young children in a semi-structured environment. Wheeled toys, tricycles, slide, and balance beams are some of the outdoor equipment available. Inside activities include all sorts of table-top toys, manipulative toys (such as puzzles, blocks, lacing beads, etc.), dress-up/dramatic play materials, play dough, art supplies, and group time materials such as book stories, flannel board stories, and musical instruments.
Toys from home are not allowed at school. We feel that they interfere with the social skills that we are trying to teach the children while they attend pre-school.
Kidz Korner offers half day and full day programs, which stress social relationships, emotional, physical, and cognitive development through the following activities:
Music and movement
Science and Math Preparation
Each classroom has planned activities geared to the developmental levels of that particular age group.
Policies and Fees 1. Kidz Korner accepts children from 18 months through 6 years of age.
2. You may register your child from 3 to 5 days per week-on any combination of days during the week based on availability.
3. Your child’s file must be complete with all required papers signed and returned to Kidz Korner and registration fee must be paid before starting the program. The following items need to be on file at the preschool:
4. Yearly materials fee for children is $100.00. (Fall registration starts September 1st).
Tuition is based on time periods of 7:15am to 11:30am and 7:15am to 5:30pm.
*Preschool Age Fees* 3 half days = $375.00/mo 3 full days = $445.00/mo
4 half days = $485.00/mo 4 full days = $560.00/mo
5 half days = $585.00/mo 5 full days = $675.00/mo
*Toddler Program Fees*
3 half days = $440.00/mo 3 full days = $500.00/mo
4 half days = $570.00/mo 4 full days = $640.00/mo
5 half days = $695.00/mo 5 full days = $775.00/mo
Additional days (days other than the ones selected per your agreement) will be billed as follows:
Full day = $32.00/day Full day = $37.00/day (18 to 30 months)
Half day = $28.00/day Half day = $33.00/day (18 to 30 months)
5. Tuition payments are due in advance and shall be paid on the 1st of each month. Tuition is considered delinquent if not made by the 5th of each month. If tuition payments are not received by the 5th of the month, the child will not be allowed to attend KKP until all fees are paid in full. A
$25.00 late fee will also be applied. Any returned checks will have a $25.00 fee applied. Late child
pick-up charge is $5.00 every five minutes or portion thereof, after 5:30pm. If you for some reason must be late, please call so that your child can be assured that you have not forgotten them.
6. The Director will meet with all prospective parents and children prior to admission.
7. There is no credit given for days your child is enrolled and you do not bring him/her, or for the holidays, that Kidz Korner is closed.
9. Payments should be made by mail at 3396 Johnson Ave. San Luis Obispo CA 93401, or at the center’s office in the drop box.
10. When there are symptoms of illness or other indications that a child is not well enough for group activities, arrangements must be made for his/her care at home. The school has no provisions for care of children who are ill.
11. A child with a fever, vomiting, diarrhea, earache, or yellow or green nasal discharge is to remain at home. If a child becomes ill at school, he/she will be taken to the office when possible and the parent or guardian will be called to arrange to have the child picked up as soon as possible.
12. When a child has been absent for a simple cold he/she may be re-admitted to school with the approval of the teacher or director. In order to return to school after an infectious disease (e.g. chicken pox, scarlet fever, etc.), the child must remain out of school for a reasonable amount of time or a statement of good health must be brought from the child’s doctor. If a child is well enough to attend school, he/she is well enough to join the other children in the daily indoor and outdoor play. If you do not feel your child is able to attend school comfortably, he/she is to remain at home.
13. Exposure to communicable diseases and infectious illnesses should be promptly reported to the school. We will alert you when the children have been exposed to infectious diseases at school.
14. TWO-WEEK NOTICE is required for termination of the contract. If the office does not receive advance notice parents will be required to pay an amount equal to two weeks tuition.
15. Kidz Korner is required to allow Community Care Licensing to inspect any of the children’s files upon request.
Parents Rights and Responsibilities
Good communication between parents and the school is necessary for a smooth running program and the best possible development in the children.
You are invited and encouraged to visit our school. Our director will give you a tour of the program at any time.
Each enrolling family will sign a contract, which states the hours of attendance and the financial agreement accepted. Contracts may be amended as to days and hours with a two week notice.
Parent/teacher/director conferences may help to discuss your child’s progress. Please call the office or contact the director so a convenient time can be set up. These conferences are highly recommended, and sometimes required by the director.
Casual play clothes, easy for the child to manage and suitable for messy materials or accidents are recommended. We want the children to be free to participate in all activities without worry of getting dirty.
Please put your child’s name on his/her jacket and on other personal belongings.
For safety, please put your child in appropriate shoes. Tennis shoes are the most acceptable footwear. Each child needs to have a change of clothes at school each day he/she attends as well as a crib sheet and blanket for nap time. Please check appropriateness of your child’s spare clothes as the weather changes.
Sign In/ Sign Out Procedures It is state law and school policy that all children are signed-in and signed-out by the responsible adult who shall indicate the exact time and sign their complete signature on the sheet provided in each classroom. Do not leave until your child has been accepted by one of the teachers or the director.
1. The first thing to do upon arriving at Kidz Korner Preschool is to sign your child in on the attendance sheet, located on the clipboard on the parent counter in each classroom. Please fill in all areas of the sign in/ out sheet. We need your full legal signature and time for both signing in and out.
2. After signing in, please check your child’s file in the parent’s file box.
3. If your child is in diapers, please bring plenty of extra diapers with your child every day.
4. Please, clearly label all bags, jackets, sweaters, sweatshirts, etc….with FIRST and LAST names. Bottles and pacifiers should also be clearly marked. We have masking tape and marking pens available if you have forgotten to mark something. Please make it a point to pick up all of your child’s personal items on your way out.
5. Before leaving the center with your child, please sign out on the attendance sheet with the time and full signature and check your child’s parent box. Please take all work from your child’s cubby in his/her classroom that was worked on that day as it is important for your child to see your approval for his/her accomplishments
6. The only persons allowed to pick up a child from school are those whose names are indicated in the child’s records. Identification will be required of persons picking up the child if the teacher does not recognize the person. Parent’s need to advise the office in advance, in writing, if a person not listed on the enrollment form is to pick up the child.
7. We request that there is to be NO pick up or drop off between the hours of 11:00a – 2:00pm. This is the time the kids are eating lunch, preparing for nap, and sleeping. It is very important for this to be uninterrupted time for your child. Doctor, dentist, and other appointments need to be scheduled outside of this time frame.