To identify minimum standards for all fraternities and sororities at Florida Gulf Coast University that will assist chapters in strengthening and enhancing their organizations, members, and the Greek Community as a whole to reach their fullest potential and increase awareness of and interest in Greek life at FGCU.
Chapters earning all possible points in any given section (ex. Scholarship) will receive special recognition denoted on their Talon Certificate.
Five Talon Chapter: Any chapter that earns a minimum of 300 points in the Talon Program.
These point totals are based on the items that the Talon Committee felt to be appropriate for the various Talon levels. Chapters falling under the category of One Talon or below will be subject to educational improvement measures to correct their deficiencies. The chapter will work with the Office of Student Involvement staff to improve their performance in the upcoming year. Such measures may include but are not limited to: social probation, mandatory service hours, mandatory workshops to attend, reviewing of various chapter programs and policies, and other educational improvement opportunities. Obviously the goal is for every chapter at FGCU to be Five Talon Chapters, so the best of luck to you all.
All Chapters will submit 3-Ring Binders that will be provided by the Office of Student Involvement.
(25) Chapters are at or above either the all-men’s/all-women’s GPA for the Fall and/or Spring semesters. Credit will be given for marked improvement for grades.
(25) Chapters must have an active Scholarship program.
Include a copy of the program to verify.
(5) Bonus Objective:
Chapter meets or exceeds the all-Campus average GPA.
(20 total) Participation in Governing Councils
(10) Chapters are in good standing with their governing council.
(10) Chapters hold at least one Executive Board position on their respective governing council.
(10) 51% of the Chapter attended at least one leadership workshop per semester.
Attach attendance sheet to verify.
(10) At least one chapter member attended their respective National Leadership Conference.
(10) Chapters must plan and execute at least one retreat per academic year.
(5) Membership in Order of Omega
(15) Chapters must complete no less than an average of ten (10) community service hours per member, per semester.
Attach community service report to verify
(20 total) Chapter Community Service and Philanthropy Event
(15) Chapters are responsible to plan and execute no less than one (1) large scale community service or philanthropy event per academic year.
(10)Chapters are also responsible for hosting two (2) small scale community service and/or philanthropy events per semester, totaling four (4) events per academic year.
Two (2) of the events must be of a different category from the large scale event. The other two events can be either community service or philanthropy. (Example: Your chapter hosts a large scale philanthropy event; therefore two of your small events must be community service).
Document all events through attendance sheets, pictures, flyers, etc. and submit in the binder.
(10) Chapters must participate in the annual Greek-wide community service event.
(5) Chapters complete an average of 20 hours of community service per member in one semester.
(5) Chapters may complete one additional large scale community service or philanthropy project, totaling two per year.
Provide a list of all members involved in other organizations with the names of the organizations and the positions they hold, if any.
(10) Participation in Greek Week Events
(Total of 5) One point will be awarded for each active member of the chapter who is President of an outside organization. Up to five points can be earned.
Please include names and their organizations.
(5) Co-Sponsor an intramural team with another Greek Chapter.
This section is mandatory for all chapters according to the timelines below. If a chapter is deficient in any of these categories, the Office of Student Involvement staff will refuse to sign off on and/or approve any chapter events until the proper paperwork is submitted or the requirements are met as follows.